Knowing how to brush your teeth properly is important so you can avoid conditions such as gingivitis and tooth decay.
Bad brushing technique can lead to tooth abrasion, which wears away the surface of the tooth. Because gum tissue is so delicate, it can be damaged from the bristles on your toothbrush and lead to tooth sensitivity.
These instructions will help you brush your teeth the right way:
- Put a thin layer of toothpaste on your already-moist toothbrush.
- Brush your back teeth first, especially focusing on the front of the teeth.
- Hold the toothbrush alongside your teeth, and point the bristles where the tissue is located. Your bristles need to be applied near the gum line.
- Brush using a round motion for about 10 seconds.
- When you’re done this step, sweep the bristles away from the gum line.
- Continue these steps until the top and bottom teeth are clean.
- Clean the inside surfaces of your teeth, and repeat steps 2 to 5 on your upper and lower molars.
- Brush your front teeth by moving the tip of the toothbrush from the gum line down. Repeat twice or three times.
- Do step 8 for the lower front teeth, but be sure to guide away from the gum line. Repeat twice or three times.
- Brush towards the back of your tooth so you reach the biting surface.
- You can softly brush your tongue and cheeks if you wish.
- Rinse with either water or mouthwash.
Brushing at least two times a day is key- we recommend you do this in the morning and before bed. If your bristles look worn out, be sure to replace your toothbrush. You should also get a new toothbrush every 3 months. If you get the cold or flu or any kind of sickness, be sure to get a new toothbrush.
These tips should help you with brushing your teeth properly, but if you find yourself having any teeth issues, book an appointment at Metroplex Dental Centre at Metrotown Mall in Burnaby and we’ll be happy to take care of you.